Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Marriage...

Two typical questions I get asked here are “Are you a Christian?” and “Are you married?”

Ugandans will typically think I am younger than I am.
They will accept that I am half Japanese much quicker than the average Westerner.
And they will tell me I should get married. Soon.

Not being married and not having children is just not done here. If one remains unmarried after a certain age, people will think there is something wrong with you. Many Headmasters have asked me “Will you marry a Ugandan?” When I tell them I’m focusing on my work they do not accept that as a viable excuse.

The other day I met a headmaster and had the following conversation:
HM: I am getting married soon
Me: Congratulations! How did you meet your fiancé?
HM: I do not have a fiancé. I am looking for a wife.

In the West, it is 1) find someone who you could love for the rest of your life and 2) think about marrying them. This HM’s approach was the opposite – 1) I’m ready to get married so 2) I’m going to find me a wife!

Which then brings me to my quote of the day – (different headmaster this time)

“You better get a Ugandan as a husband. Look at the cross breeding! English, Japanese and Ugandan! You will create super species!”

1 comment:

mikilutyens said...

woa that guy was pretty confident to know that someone he didn't know was going to marry him soon. in india they used to ask me the same thing - are you married and will you marry an indian? this woman who worked for the NGO asked me the same question over and over again - in england you can choose man you want to marry? yes! or most of the time!