When you've been in UG a certain amount of time, you start getting calls from random people. Your mobile number circulates around and strangers will start to call you. I have 12 "Do not pick up" numbers saved in my phone and that's not even that bad. I'll have people call who say "Hello who's this?", or "Hello you are my friend".
This morning, someone was persistently calling my phone during training. When I finally picked up this unknown number, a man started talking in Luganda. So I figured it was just another one of those calls and hung up. Then he called again from a different phone number. I heard his voice and hung up. Went back to training.
Sitting in training, I realised he was being a little too persistent. There was urgency in his voice. Then I remembered my wallet (which was stolen yesterday) had a stack of my business cards stuffed inside. Just maybe, maaaaaybe he had found my wallet and was trying to return it.
I found my friend Nassar who speaks Luganda and called the guy back. Sure enough, he had picked up my wallet and wanted to return it to me. Unbelievable. So I now have my wallet back (that Mama bought for me for Christmas), plus my driving license (boo yeah!), my ATM card (already canceled) and all the little passport photos I keep in there of my family. Of course all the cash was gone, (even the Tanzanian money I had in there and my lucky $2 bill) and for all I know the person returning my wallet could have been the thief, but I gave him 10,000 shillings anyway.
Life gets crazy sometimes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment